Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Welcome to Rocky Land

Welcome to Rocky Land
Grace Fellowship
Al Poncel
10/03/2007

Five Biblical Principals from the Movie 'Rocky Balboa'

Round 1 - Great insults last a long time.

In the 1st movie there was a girl that insulted him. He meets her in this movie and they remember each other. He remembers her cause he told her to clean up her act and she called a bad name. She does not remember it, denies it and he replies that 'great insults last a long time.'

Proverbs 8:21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue: ...

Forgive is what we are encouraged to do. Words do not come back easy.

James 3: 10 Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing.
From the same mouth we can give good things and bad things. The bad things are what is remembered often.

Proverbs 25:11 A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver.
Saying the right word at the right time is a great encouragement to people. We need more encouragement in the world.

James 3:6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity:
Fire reproduces itself as long as their is oxygen to feed it. A wrong hear attitude and a listening ear will fuel a tongue fire.

I Peter 2: Wherefore laying aside all malice, and all guile, and hypocrisies, and envies, and all evil speakings,
Clean house, the insults should not come from you.

Ephesians 4:29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
Corrupt here could be defined as putrid (like something that someone has thrown up.

Round 2 - The older I get, the more I need to leave behind
The commission does not want to give him back his licence to fight back, as he leaves he says, 'the older I get, the more I need to leave behind."

Forgiveness, you need to learn how to forgive.
Offence, learn not to get offended.
Change.
Definition of dead is something that never changes.
Philippians 3:13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
Things are not constant in life. We change from child to teen to young adult to older adult. Life is journey that you did not volunteer for but that you were blessed to experience it. Life changes all the time.

Deuteronomy 1:6 The LORD our God spake unto us in Horeb, saying, Ye have dwelt long enough in this mount:
If you want to know something different than what you have, you have to do something different than what you are doing. Get out of the mountain and go through the valley to get to the next mountain. There is a time for things to happen. You need to get to new levels.

C = change
H = honest look at your self
A = action - do it.
N = Newness, what was is not better than what will be.
G = Growth, never is more common than unfulfilled potential
E = Eyes - get them on the future, do not be afraid to go slow, be afraid of stopping.

Philippians 3:13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,

Round 3 - Life is not about how had you can get hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving.
Son comes over during the fight and tells him how hard his life has been cause his life has been in his shadow. Rocky says ' Life is not about how had you can get hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving.'
The energy to retreat can be the same as to succeed.

1. When you get hit often you try to hit back
Rom 12:17 Recompense to no man evil for evil.
Prov 20:22 Say not thou, I will recompense evil; but wait on the LORD, and he shall save thee.

2. People put up a shell to keep people out.
3. Quit on life and run away.

James 2:
2My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;
3Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.

Look at Joseph's life. What would it have been if he gave up when his brothers sold him off.

Round 4 - the last thing to age is your heart
Rocky is in the hotel room and he is talking to a woman that he brefriended and helped her and her boy. She says to him while trying to encourage him, 'the last thing to age is your heart'.

Proverbs 4:23 Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.
Joshua 14:

6Then the children of Judah came unto Joshua in Gilgal: and Caleb the son of Jephunneh the Kenezite said unto him, Thou knowest the thing that the LORD said unto Moses the man of God concerning me and thee in Kadeshbarnea.
7Forty years old was I when Moses the servant of the LORD sent me from Kadeshbarnea to espy out the land; and I brought him word again as it was in mine heart.
8Nevertheless my brethren that went up with me made the heart of the people melt: but I wholly followed the LORD my God.
9And Moses sware on that day, saying, Surely the land whereon thy feet have trodden shall be thine inheritance, and thy children's for ever, because thou hast wholly followed the LORD my God.
10And now, behold, the LORD hath kept me alive, as he said, these forty and five years, even since the LORD spake this word unto Moses, while the children of Israel wandered in the wilderness: and now, lo, I am this day fourscore and five years old.
11As yet I am as strong this day as I was in the day that Moses sent me: as my strength was then, even so is my strength now, for war, both to go out, and to come in.
12Now therefore give me this mountain, whereof the LORD spake in that day; for thou heardest in that day how the Anakims were there, and that the cities were great and fenced: if so be the LORD will be with me, then I shall be able to drive them out, as the LORD said.


God will give you something to conquer if you have the heart for it.
13And Joshua blessed him, and gave unto Caleb the son of Jephunneh Hebron for an inheritance.

Round 5 - I got to go out the way I got to go out
Last round, his son is telling him to stand back and just finish it. Rocky says ' I got to go out the way I got to go out.'

John 12:
23And Jesus answered them, saying, The hour is come, that the Son of man should be glorified.
24Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.
25He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal.
26If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour.
27Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour.

It was for this moment that He came. Never say that you have nothing left to do. There is always more for you to do. God has called you to do what He called you to do, go out doing it.
II Timothy 4:7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:
Revelations 12:11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

At the end, he does not win but they all applaud him. His son comes to him and says 'Dad, that was the greatest thing ever'. Will your children say that when you pass on to be with God? Your life is not over, there is so much more that you can do.

Unless otherwise noted, all scriptures are King James version. The notes are based on what I heard. They may or may not reflect what the speaker said.

No comments: